Monday, October 05, 2009

CJ Chow's Brigid's Flame


C. J. Chow of Toronto, Canada has devoted a website to Brigid and to healing. Brigid's Flame offers information, links, and consultations, as well as a link to C.J.'s blog: Pneumatised! AN EVER-CHANGING LIFE INSPIRED BY THE PNEUMA.


ABOUT ME

I am a Chinese Canadian living in Toronto, Canada, who follows a unique, eclectic spirituality. First and foremost, I am pagan. I have found that being pagan has given me freedom to explore many different spiritualities (or maybe that's just my personality... hm...) At the very least, the path that I follow has led me to explore different mythologies, from classic Greco-Roman to Mesoamerican (Mayan, Incan, Aztec). I've always held it to be important to learn and explore different spiritual paths. My studies, though generally on pagan/Wiccan paths, include Native traditions, Buddhism, Taoism, Celtic mythology and spirituality, Mesoamerican mythology and basically any other mythologies out there.

I have a great interest in healing and wellness. I believe that healing takes place on the spiritual level first and that much suffering and pain can be avoided by taking good care of oneself. Taking care of oneself includes spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. I hold a black belt in taekwondo and I highly recommend martial arts to people because it works on all these levels. During the summer of 2002, I suffered a knee injury, putting my martial arts on hold. I underwent knee surgery and rehabilitation. It was going through this that sparked my interest in healing and subsequently, I sought not just reiki treatment, but to be attuned to reiki. I was attuned to reiki level one by Nancy Peel nearly a year ago. Healing however is not just an individual need, healing is also needed on a larger scale. The world itself needs to be healed - there is just too much suffering. This is the basic idea behind this website and my work...

POEMS FOR BRIGID

Below are two pieces from the Carmina Gadelica about Brigid. The original from the Carmina is shown followed immediately by a modern translation and interpretation. Sources are listed after each section.

SLOINNTIREACHD BHRIDE1

Sloinneadh na Ban-naomh Bride, Lasair dhealrach oir, muime chorr Chriosda. Bride nighinn Dughaill duinn, Mhic Aoidh, mhic Airt, mhic Cuinn, Mhic Crearair, mhic Cis, mhic Carmaig, mhic Carruinn.

Gach la agus gach oidhche Ni mi sloinntireachd air Bride, Cha mharbhar mi, cha spuillear mi, Cha charcar mi, cha chiurar mi, Cha mhu dh' fhagas Criosd an dearmad mi.

Cha loisg teine, grian, no gealach mi, Cha bhath luin, li, no sala mi, Cha reub saighid sithich, no sibhich mi, Is mi fo chomaraig mo Naomh Muire Is i mo chaomh mhuime Bride.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/corpus/Carmina/G70.html

GENEALOGY OF BRIGIT

The genealogy of the holy maiden Brigit, Radiant arrow of flame, noble foster-mother of gods, Brigit the daughter of the Dagda, Dagda the Good God, the son of Ethlinn, Ethlinn the daughter of Balor, Balor the king of the Fomoire.

Every day and every night That I say the genealogy of Brigit, I shall not be killed, I shall not be injured, I shall not be enchanted, I shall not be cursed, Neither shall my power leave me.

No earth, no sod, no turf shall cover me, No fire, no sun, no moon shall burn me, No water, no lake, no sea shall drown me, No air, no wind, no vapour shall sicken me, No glamour out of Faery shall o'ertake me, And I under the protection of the holy maiden, My gentle foster-mother, my beloved Brigit.

http://www.shadowsrealm.com/paganshadows/carmina/index2.html#70

BRIDE BAN-CHOBHAIR2

Thainig thugam cobhair Moire gheal is Bride; Mar a rug Anna Moire, Mar a rug Moire Criosda, Mar a rug Eile Eoin Baistidh Gun mhar-bhith dha dhi, Cuidich thusa mise 'm asaid, Cuidich mi a Bhride!

Mar a gheineadh Criosd am Moire Comhliont air gach laimh, Cobhair thusa mise, mhoime, An gein a thoir bho 'n chnaimh; 'S mar a chomhn thu Oigh an t-solais, Gun or, gun odh, gun ni, Comhn orm-sa, 's mor m' othrais, Comhn orm a Bhride!

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/corpus/Carmina/G71.html

BRIGIT THE AID-WOMAN

There came to me assistance, Danu fair and Brigit; As Danu bore the Dagda, As Dagda's wife bore Brigit, As Brigit bore Ruadan Without flaw in him, Aid thou me in mine unbearing, Aid me, O Brigit!

As Lugh was conceived of Ethlinn Full perfect on every hand, Assist thou me, foster-mother, The conception to bring from the bone; And as thou didst aid the Mother of the Gods, Without gold, without corn, without kine, Aid thou me, great is my sickness, Aid me, O Brigit!

http://www.shadowsrealm.com/paganshadows/carmina/index2.html#71

The following is a modern poem about the goddess Brigid. However, I have noticed the title of the poem uses the modern name "Bridget" instead of Brigid which leaves me to speculate the poem is also dedicated to someone named Bridget Bright.

BRIDGET BRIGHT by Hedgewytch

She is known as Brigid Bright, Goddess who shines against the night. At Cille Dara, at the setting sun, Her sacred flame is kept by one. Nineteen times the earth turns round, As sacred springs come forth the ground. Twenty times the sun has burned, And now the Goddess has returned. Alone she tends her thrice-bright flame, Born of her heart that bears her name. The Dagda knows Brigid as Daughter, Triple Blessed by fire and water. Poets call her name to inspire. And healers oft gain from her fire. Wayland too would know her well As hammer and anvil ring like a bell. A sorrowful cry did she give meaning, When first she brought to Eire keening. Oh Sacred Fire against darkest night, Burn for Brigid, for Brigid Bright! Fire in the head...to quicken us. Fire in the cauldron...to heal us. Fire in the forge of the heart...to temper us.

"Bridget Bright" was found on the following sites: http://www.witchvox.com/vn/vn_detail/dt_po.html?a=usfl&id=902 http://www.earthspiritpagans.org/

The following was not written for the goddess Brigid (at least as far as I know), but the lyrics in this song are so beautiful and remind me of Brigid that I wanted to include the chorus here. The song is"Shine" by Hungry Lucy. The lyrics are by Christa Belle and can be found at www.hungrylucy.com.

Shine this light down on me forever My open eyes are so alive Break through these walls that leave me useless All of my fears have gone away

FOOTNOTES

1. Piece 70 from the Carmina Gadelica. 2. Piece 71 from the Carmina Gadelica.

No comments: