from their site at: http://www.brigidine.org.au/#
Reading and responding to the signs of the times led Daniel Delany, Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin, to establish the Congregation of the Sisters of St Brigid (Brigidine Sisters) in 1807. In the shadow of the penal days in Ireland the need for education and revitalizing the faith was stark. Six ordinary Irish women came together in Tullow on the first of February to begin this work. The fledgling congregation was placed under the patronage of Our Lady and St. Brigid and Bishop Delany planted a sapling from the oak at Brigid's abbey in Kildare as a sign that the work begun by Brigid had sprouted again. Over almost two hundred years the Brigidine Sisters have continued to read and respond to the signs of the times, branching out to various parts of the world to work in education, ever-widening pastoral ministries and to work for social justice.
Continuing active engagement in the wide-ranging issues of right relationships, equal access to the world's resources and other issues of justice have given rise to the following commitment:
for the community of life
and we will continue to work
to further compassion and justice
for humanity and the earth.