Friday, November 30, 2018

Review: Brigantia #1 (Comic)

Brigantia #1, Chris Mole and Melissa Trender (2017):


Link to Kickstarter for #2

Brigantia #1, Chris Mole and Melissa Trender (2017):

I was surprised and thrilled when I saw Nimue Brown's retweet of Chris Mole's Kickstarter announcement for Brigantia #2. I had not known that #1 existed and I wanted to know more. A quick look at the Kickstarter page told me this was a comic I definitely wanted to read. A seven foot tall, red-haired goddess who fights to protect her people, who is hurled through time to our century, who is wonderfully drawn.

So here I am with #1. I love the liveliness and clarity of the art. A goddess and a god in mortal combat open the issue, followed by the abrupt arrival of Brigantia in the London Underground. The land still speaks to her, but it is strange and incomprehensible; her people, those who believe in her, are long gone. Yet when she was taken from them they were in desperate need of her protection.  

Now, one voice rises in prayer to her, her nemesis appears again, and the battle continues.

A fast-moving and enjoyable read based on the goddess of the Brigantes, Brigantia #1 combines the exhilaration of the superhero comic with a sensibility for the land and her people. It will appeal to Pagans and non-Pagans alike. 

Now! To raise the funds for #2! Just a few days left for the Kickstarter campaign. Donate as little as a £ to enable artist Melissa Trender to work full-time on the project and get it to us by May 2019. (Rewards abound, and I personally have my eye on paper copies of both issues.)

No comments: